Well it was a long while back that I started this series, but I’m finally going to pick back up with it, now that I’m finally getting through posting most of the backlog of road-trip-related posts.

Getting to Stage 2 of the GAPS intro diet, especially if you’ve been on Stage 1 for very long, can be quite a relief!  Because you get to eat new foods!  YAY!  Here’s what we added into our diets as we worked through Stage 2.

Stage 2:  Additions

• Raw egg yolks, mixed into soups or other meals.
  • Meats that have been oven-roasted with a fair amount of liquid.  This was in part to break up the tedium of soup!  A slow roast in the oven does produce some caramelization of the surface of the meat that is exposed to the air, but not a ton (especially if there’s a hearty amount of liquid in the dish), and you still get the advantages of collagen break-down with the low and slow heating method.
  • Fermented fish.  The GAPS book has a couple different recipes for fermenting raw fish.  We stuck mostly to gravlox, tho, and actually didn’t eat a ton of it, because we didn’t love the texture of our homemade stuff.  (Unfortunately, the stuff you buy in the store is pretty much all made with sugar.  GAPS-friendly gravlox should be made with honey — if you’re tolerating honey — along with sea salt, herbs, and possibly some sort of innoculant like whey.
  • After it’s clear that raw yolks are well tolerated, cooked egg whites can be added.

Some of the dishes, or ammendments to dishes we were already eating, that we enjoyed at this stage included:

• Hash made from leftover boiled meats and veggies, with egg yolk (or a soft-poached egg) on top to make “sauce”.
  • Pot Roast
  • Gently poached eggs, with the yolks still liquid-y.
  • A lot of the same things we’d enjoyed on Stage 1, with the added bonus of being slathered yolky sauceRaw yolks + warm fat/oil + a little bone broth makes for utter deliciousness in my book!
  • If I were to do this stage again, I’d be sure to eat more ceviche, with just lemon or lime juice, salt, and a little cayenne to season it.  Yes, ceviche is much tastier with a few raw fresh herbs and veggies mixed in, but those aren’t allowed yet at this stage of intro.  But a quick sit in an acidic, salty mixture is basically making fermented fish — quick fermented fish — and since I’ve been loving the ceviche lately, this would be high on my priorities!

Preparing for this stage, in terms of making the fermented fish ahead of time, can help get through it more quickly.  The biggest digestive hurdle that this stage can pose probably concerns the eggs — some people do have a hard time digesting them, and if you don’t know for certain that you’re one of them, you probably won’t know until you’ve taken enough time off them so that a reintroduction will cause noticeable issues if you do have an egg issue.  As I’ve said before, I could really care less about the whites — the yolks are what it’s all about for me!  And once I knew I was ok with the raw yolks, I had them with practically EVERY meal!

GAPS Intro:  Overview

GAPS Intro:  Stage 1

GAPS Intro:  Stage 3

GAPS Intro:  Stage 4

GAPS Intro:  Stage 5

GAPS Intro:  Stage 6

Photo Credit:  judepics on Flickr.

This post is part of Healthy2Day Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Works for me Wednesday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, and Simple Lives Thursday.

Was this post helpful for you?  Support this website by clicking over to Amazon.

6 Responses to GAPS Intro: Stage 2

1. LIB says:

I’ve been thinking about it…still vacillating since it’s summer and the diet is so very limited. ( easy excuse, right) I want to eat all my garden produce.
    Blessings!
    LIB

Yeah, I can definitely sympathize with that!! We were thinking we might want to go back through the intro stages this month ourselves, but with this heat we are having second thoughts! The idea of eating lots of soup (even tho there are many things besides soup, soup is still important) is just totally repugnant right now! So maybe we’ll have to wait until things cool down in the fall and we’re ready for soup again. Good luck, when you are ready! It’s totally worth it, in my opinion–I found out things about what my body likes and dislikes that I never would have known otherwise if I hadn’t done the intro slowly and methodically.

2. Rachel says:

Very interesting, that was my first intro in GAPS. What does GAPS stand for? Thank you so much for participating in the Healthy 2day Wednesdays link up, I am SO glad you did! I hope you will this week as well!

GAPS stands for Gut and Psychology, or Gut and Physiology Syndrome. Basically it’s a protocol for health improvement which a British doctor developed for her son with autism, and she effectively healed him using this protocol. However, she has found over the course of treating many patients that the protocol she developed can help heal a number of ailments, ranging from bipolar disorder, depression, and AD(H)D to chronic physical ailments, such as PCOS, autoimmune diseases, and chronic infections. The GAPS diet restricts a lot of foods, in many ways similar to a Paleo or Primal diet, in order to help heal the gut, and emphasizes the incorporation of particular foods, like bone broth, healthy saturated fats, probiotics in fermented foods, and cholesterol in eggs, along with supplements like fermented cod liver oil and high-quality probiotic formulations in order to speed up the healing process. Here’s a little more about GAPS that I wrote a while back: http://www.yolkskefirandgristle.com/2011/03/26/intestinal-permeability-and-optimal-health/
      Glad to spread the good that this diet is doing — I have managed to get myself off prescription meds that I was effectively addicted to (I was totally miserable without them!) and am slowly healing in other areas as well doing this protocol. Thanks for inviting me!

3. olivia says:

how do I know when I can move on to next stage?

That is kind of THE question on intro, isn’t it! The short answer is, when you feel like you’re ready. I know, that’s a really slurpy answer. But it’s the truth. It could be when your digestion starts to normalize — no more constipation or diarrhea — but if you didn’t have that, how else do you know? Another thing to look at is if you are tolerating the new foods being introduced. We moved through the steps very slowly, introducing only one new food per day, to see if we could tolerate it. And on days when we didn’t feel good, or were having a reaction to something we’d introduced, we didn’t introduce anything new until the reaction went away. So it took a good long time, over a couple of weeks even, to get through the first couple of stages. However, some people go through it much more quickly and still see a lot of benefits, like one stage every day or two. I think it really depends on what you want to do, how your body handles it, and the needs of your particular lifestyle and life situation. If you go through it quickly (or slowly, for that matter), you can always make a commitment to go back and do the intro stages again at some point in the future; it might be easier to do the second time around, since you’ve gotten the experience of doing it the first time. Good luck, and let me know how you decide to progress — I’m always interested in hearing others’ stories.