When I do make fresh juice with my wonderful juicer, which isn’t all that often, I sometimes feel kind of bad about throwing away all that pulp — it seems such a waste.

Shortly after we started GAPS, and I realized that my body did not always particularly love things made with coconut flour, I had the thought that basically the way that coconut flour is made is very similar to the process that all the (usually carrot) juicing pulp gets made — the liquid (and fats, when dealing with coconuts) is extracted from the fiber, and the leftover fiber gets dried out and ground up to make “flour”.  So why couldn’t I do that with my carrot pulp?

It actually works exceptionally well — surprisingly well, I should say!

Whenever I juice carrots, I take the pulp out of the bin and spread it out on a dehydrator mat (or you could do a cookie sheet, too).

(And actually, if I don’t have anything else to dehydrate at the time, I’ll throw it into a jar and put it into the freezer until the next time I have something else to dehydrate, since it seems a waste to run the whole unit for just one tray.)

Once spread out, I pull out any big chunks of carrot (there are always a few) and discard them … or eat them …

Then it’s just a matter of dehydrating, either in the dehydrator, or in an oven on its lowest setting.  (I don’t think there’s any need to keep things raw here, since the point is to make an alternative flour that you can bake with.)  Depending on the humidity and thickness of the layer of pulp, it will take several hours — I usually just leave things in overnight.

Once the pulp is fully dehydrated and crisp, I throw all the pieces into the food processor, and pulse until ground into a very fine flour.

You could, at this point, also put it through a sifter, which would take out any chunks that didn’t get ground up.

Then I just store it in an airtight container until I need it for baking!

I use this in a one-to-one ratio instead of coconut flour.  Like coconut flour, it’s pretty much purely fiber, so it will soak up a lot of moisture, and definitely should not be substituted one-to-one for regular grain flour, or even nut (typically almond) flour.

It adds a lovely orangey-yellowy color to baked goods — I particularly enjoyed using it to make these gluten-free cheesy biscuits, which remind one of the biscuits they serve at Red Lobster, and we found could make quite lovely hamburger buns.  Since the cheddar we use isn’t artificially colored, having the carrot flour in the mix gave these the appropriate orange hue that for some reason the mind expects … it’s funny how the mind is convinced that yellow cheese = yum … and that we can still manage to trick ourselves sometimes into eating healthy versions of those SO unhealthy things we crave from our previous life’s miseducation!

(I couldn’t resist putting up a picture of a carrot flower for this post :)   They’ve just been so beautiful in my garden this year … my otherwise appallingly messy and weedy garden that I haven’t attended to at all.)

This post is part of Healthy2Day Wednesdays, Works for Me Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Paleo Rodeo, Frugal Tuesday Tip, and Hearth and Soul Hop.

Was this post helpful for you?  Support this website by clicking over to Amazon.

28 Responses to Carrot Flour

1. Linda says:

Love this! Thank you! :-)

2. BeccaOH says:

Found you through Kelly the Kitchen Kop. What a fabulous idea. I really want to find time to experiment with carrot flour. Like you, I hate “wasting” all that juice pulp – so I rarely juice.

3. Alchemille says:

Thank you for sharing. It’s nice to have a wider panel of flours to use, esp a substitute for coconut flour if needed. I have bought carrot flour online but didn’t really know how to use it (in those cases, all you can do is experiment).
    I made carrot coffee once, it was good but times consuming and you need a lot of carrots for just a few spoons of coffee at the end of the process!
    I also tried making parsnip flour once as I read it was commonly used during the Middle Ages (and after I saw a recipe for parsnip flour porridge). I grated, oven dried and ground the parsnips but I didn’t get anything fine. It’s more of a meal than a flour and i haven’t tried it yet (it’s in my freezer).

Wow, I had no idea you could make carrot coffee!! That sounds pretty crazy! I’d heard of making a coffee substitute from chicory root — figures you could do the same with other root veggies. Anywho, that all sounds pretty cool! Where did you read about parsnip flour in the middle ages? That sounds like a book or website that I’d really like to read!

4. Amanda says:

Whoa. This is awesome. I came for another purpose (below) and am sure glad I did. :)

I found you via the Healthy 2day Link up and wanted you to see a resource we’re putting together on Facebook to help like-minded blog carnival participants find each other and get notices when the carnivals go live:

Amanda

5. Alchemille says:

Megh,
    I don’t remember where I read about the parsnip flour in the middle ages (though I know parsnips were widely consumed before the introduction of carrots).
    Here’s a link about parsnip flour (apparently made from drying the pulp after juicing like your carrot flour) and parsnip porridge/grits: http://blog.ideasinfood.com/ideas_in_food/2008/12/parsnip-porridge.html

6. Stephanie says:

Lovely idea. I don’t juice, but I’m tempted to just for the carrot pulp! Coconut flour appeals to me but I semi-object to frequent use due to the whole temperate vs. tropical regions issue.

7. Lauren says:

I don’t usually juice… but I’m gonna have to try this! Carrot ginger kombucha sounds good!

8. SB says:

Hi there,

That is amazingly creative and looks very delicious! But I was wondering what kinds of digestive/other health issues you’ve been having with coconut flour. I’ve also been using coconut flour for GAPS, and really love the taste, but also have times when I feel that my body just doesn’t get along with it (and am not quite able to pinpoint what’s wrong). Could you elaborate and possibly speculate on the causes why it’s not always friendly? Thanks much!

Thanks! Coconut can be problematic for many people because of high lectin and salicylate levels — see this article for a much better explanation than I could give: http://paleodietlifestyle.com/is-coconut-an-optimal-source-of-fat/
      That being said, my symptoms tended to be gas/bloating and pains in my belly. I’m not entirely sure why I had these specifically with the coconut flour, and not coconut milk, and also not carrot flour. I was thinking for a while that it might have been the high fiber in the flour, but that wouldn’t explain why the carrot flour didn’t bother me … I guess it could be that it’s just a different kind of fiber, perhaps.
      Lately I’ve been shying away from pretty much any “baked goods”, and reserving those for extra special occasions. But when I first started getting myself adapted to this diet, having baked goods was crucial! So I hope that helps!

• SB says:

Ah yes, my symptoms are quite similar to yours–and I was also confused because other fibers (like veggies) seem to be A-OK! Guess experimentation really is key, so thanks for chronicling your experiments for us to see!

It’s so nice to hear when someone else has the same experience — even tho you’re right, we just have to experiment until we find the right combos for our own bodies, it’s still nice to know that our bodies aren’t complete weirdos!!

9. Thanks for sharing this method with the Hearth and Soul hop.

10. Although I’m just a “young” man in my mid thirties, I thought I had seen a lot where cooking is concerned… Kudos to you for something I never would have dreamed of in a hundred years! Looks great!

Thanks for sharing at the hearth and soul hop.

Thanks! Me too … but then I took grains out of my diet and had to come up with all sorts of new and wonderful inventions!

11. Alea Milham says:

What a wonderful idea! I have just harvest a ton of carrots and this would be a great way to use some of them. Thanks for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

12. Caleb says:

I picked up my juicer yesterday and immediately recognized the excess pulp. I’m looking forward to making your flour but I’m not much of a baker. Do you have a recipe for the hamburger buns you made using the carrot flour? Or perhaps just a simple bread recipe that uses carrot flour instead of wheat flour entirely?