(not to mention your pocketbook)

I’ve talked a little about this before, but I recently had a conversation which led me to want to more fully explain this crucial element of my philosophy of nutrition and health.

Obviously, digesting food is a really good thing.  But why can not digesting food be a potentially hazardous thing?  Doesn’t undigested food pass through the hollow tube of the digestive system and out into poop?

A good way, I think, to consider this question is to imagine putting a bowl of, for example, ready-to-eat (i.e. reconstituted) rice cereal in a nice, toasty, non-sterile location and keep it at 98.6 degrees for approximately 24 hours.  What’s going to happen to the cereal?  Well, whatever hungry microorganisms happen to be in the area may happen to land on it, and happily find a very friendly place to live and start a large, rapidly reproducing family!

What microorganisms happen to land and colonize depends on the “terroir” of this 98.6 degree environment – the microorganisms that are already in abundance within the system, on its surfaces, in its air.  If a microorganism has already established a firm foothold in this environment, it’s going to be much more likely to take over whatever new food sources are introduced into the environment.

So that’s all fine and dandy, if you’ve got a great terroir in your gut environment, with lots of healthy lactic acid-producing bacteria, which will encounter the new foods and happily gobble them up, producing as byproducts compounds which are more readily digestible by the gut tissue, and even beneficial to keeping a healthy balance going in the whole system.

BUT.  If the gut terroir is not optimal, if there are bacteria – or more significantly, yeasts – hanging out in your optimal 98.6 degree environment which are not good for gut health – which produce unpleasant byproducts, which colonize areas of the gut and destroy its healthy tissue, not only preventing it from absorbing any nutritional benefits from any food it might have readily digested with little difficulty, but also damaging the integrity of the great big hollow tube of the digestive tract – and thereby introducing the potential for undigested food particles to enter the blood stream, causing the body to mount an immune reaction towards those particles, a process which, with sufficient repetition, results in food allergies.

Why do so many more kids have food allergies these days?  This is one of the very credible reasons, in my opinion, as to why.

How do you know if you have a healthy terroir in your gut?  Well, there’s a pretty good chance that you don’t.  But a few clues include:  regular loose stools, diarrhea, or constipation;  gas, bloating, and belching;  one or more food allergies;  bowel health issues such as IBS and Crohn’s disease;  bad breath;  stinky gas and poop.

Yup, I said stinky poop.  “But, you say, poop IS stinky, that’s kind of the nature of poop!”   Well, yes and no.  Some poop is MUCH stinkier than others.  Just like some gas is stinkier than others.  I can’t say that my poop comes out smelling like roses these days, but it’s definitely not as smelly as it used to be.  And I can substantially confirm, and my husband will back this up, that my “silent but deadly” episodes creep up much less frequently these days, and are significantly less stinky, as I have followed steps to improve my gut health.

Another factor in ascertaining gut terroir is age.  Babies are born with a sterile gut.  Their exposure to bacteria in the birth canal and through whatever they are fed after birth – breast milk or homemade formula or powdered skim-milk- and soy-based formula – gives them the inoculating microorganism populations which will colonize the environment of their gut walls and significantly determine their growth, development, and health for much of the rest of their lives.  I’m not trying to be dramatic here – this is truly, in my opinion, a vitally serious issue.

But back to my original problem.  What happens when food doesn’t get digested – when food comes back out in poop?  Ideally, poop should be primarily composed of dead microorganisms and some sloughed-off cells from the digestive tract.  For one, to have food come back out in poop is an extremely inefficient means of using the digestive tract – it does not make sense that the human body would have a system set up which didn’t fully do what its purpose is to do.

But moreover, not all of that undigested food is probably coming out in the form in which it entered the body.  It may not be digested, but it’s probably been and being eaten by something – by opportunistic microorganisms which are thrilled to take advantage of all this lovely free food being provided to them.  And some of these microorganisms are likely not ones which you want to have reproducing and populating your gut terroir.  The more opportunities they get to take advantage of undigested food, the more they’re going to reproduce, and the more likely you’re going to have more serious problems down the road related to digestion.

I think I’ll end here with a few brief observational corollaries to the logic above.

1)       It’s really important to look at your poop, and think about what its form and content says about what you’ve eaten recently, and what you are or are not digesting well.

2)      Babies should never be given foods that they can’t digest (for example, rice – or any grain – cereal as a first food).  This just encourages pathogenic microorganism populations to take hold in their guts, as they have lots of food available to them that the baby’s gut isn’t digesting.

3)      Non-digestible, non-soluble fiber is not necessarily beneficial, per se, for health.  Especially if pathogenic bacteria start feeding on it.  Extrapolate to whole grains, Metamucil … you get the picture …

4)      When you’re eating food that you don’t digest, you’re basically throwing your money (or labor, if you grew the food yourself) down the toilet.  Literally.

Photo Credit:  Images_of_Money on Flickr.

This post is part of Fight Back Friday, Freaky Friday, and Sunday School.

Was this post helpful for you?  Support this website by clicking over to Amazon.

17 Responses to Why Undigested Food is Detrimental to Health

1. Jen says:

You are hilarious! I totally get the “stinky poop” thing. Since my real food transformation mine is much less stinky AND I have hardly any gas/IBS stuff going on. It’s been GREAT for everyone around me. :)

2. hsmom says:

This is going to sound really weird, but I always wish somebody would actually just post a pic of what healthy stool looks like!

3. Jen says:

Ok, I admit that I checked the link. I have seen the shape thing on the GAPS website. I am curious about color though. I have heard a lot about color too — especially as it pertains to iron and fat content.

I guess I have poo on the brain today! :)

4. Great post. I struggle with this too as my 2yo DD eats like a fiend and doesn’t digest very well. I hate wasting good food! Can’t wait until I figure out exactly what she needs so she has pretty baby stools :)

Not exactly the same thing, but I used to eat CONSTANTLY when I was at my worst — nothing was ever satisfying, and I was always eating more. I couldn’t go for more than a couple hours without food, if I wasn’t sleeping. I didn’t think of it at the time as wasting food, but I totally was.

I am so glad I am not in that place any more!!!

5. Jenny says:

TOTALLY! Anything undigested can be toxic…even if it’s “good” for you.

We don’t make cellulase, which breaks down cellulose in the intestines. Undigested cellulose is a major factor in poor gut health. Potatoes and mushrooms don’t have cellulose.

Undigested starches can pass through the intestinal wall and into the blood stream causing all sorts of issues. Chewing is VERY important.

6. Wenchypoo says:

The same goes for animals–if you’re feeding them stuff they aren’t designed to digest (as in cats and beta-carotene), all you’re doing is buying a bag of what you think is food, only to have it turn into a bag of cat-box filler, because it isn’t being digested!

This pisses me off every time I go into a pet store: more and more foods made with things other than what an obligate carnivore needs to eat, like sweet potatoes, peas, beet pulp, tapioca flour, blueberries and cranberries, carrots, and god knows what else…and this is in addition to the already existing corn, rice, wheat flour, gluten galore, and the ubiquitous by-products (ground feathers, hair, toenails, claws, beaks, and every other non-meat part).

…and people wonder why I cook for my cats! I can make a 40-lb. bucket of litter from Sam’s Club last six months, because I feed my cats what they’re SUPPOSED to be eating–meat, meat, MEAT. Muscles, organs, a little fiber, some vitamins and minerals, and some cod liver oil. They are so healthy, they only need to go to the vet once yearly (for teeth cleaning, shots, and CBC/urinalysis).

If we ALL ate what we’re supposed to, and not what food manufacturers make out of cheap, unhealthy ingredients and a slick marketing campaign, we’d all probably only need to go to the doctor only once a year like my cats.

Oh, I know! I wish I could convince my cats to eat better food — but it is just not happening right now… Yet I just hate the amount of food I throw away from cat puke … Sorry, I know that’s gross … I know that to get them to transition over will take a serious commitment to having unhappy, complaining cats for a non-inconsequential amount of time. Alas, I am jealous of your cats!

7. Julie says:

None of my 4 children digest their food very well. For lots of years. I just wish i had know how critical it was before recently. At least we know now and have GAPS and are preparing to do it all out…when I actually get the book! Things are already getting better since we’ve gone of all starch/grain, which makes me so happy. Whole food in the toilet makes me cringe! Thanks for everything. I feel so inspired when I come here. You are brilliant. Really. I will be back, as I have a lot I can learn from you.

Oh, thank you so much, you are too kind. It definitely makes the work and expense to put this blog together to hear things like that from readers — I really appreciate your sincerity!

8. Danny says:

Not a waste of money… I didn’t survey everyone, but I’m sure that 95% of people in North America and Europe would love to eat and enjoy more food, while staying skinny, attractive and healthy. If you don’t digest most or some of your food, thank your lucky stars.