(Usually.  In the US.  I will concede that perhaps there may be places in this country where you can, but I haven’t found them yet.)

Not at Whole Foods, not at your local natural markets, and definitely not at the megalopolis mart where everyone else shops and the only reasonably decent foods you can find in the whole place frame aisles and aisles and aisles of fake food.  (I do hear that you can mail-order decent eggs, but that’s a different story, now isn’t it?)

Nope, I am thoroughly convinced now, after searching in a number of locations on various travels, that the only place you can get really, REALLY truly excellent eggs (and especially eggs from chickens that aren’t fed soy, and are allowed to range as freely as they want, and are encouraged NOT to be vegetarians — yes, that’s right, chickens are supposed to be carnivores, i.e. of insects) is directly from a good farm.  Or your own chickens, if you’re able to make that happen (maybe someday … {dreaming}).

The thing is, farmers producing real, yummy, thick-yolked, deep-golden-colored, positively delicious eggs have very little incentive to set up contracts and transportation agreements and so on and so forth, all things that cut deeply into their already slim profit margins, to get their amazing eggs into grocery stores and brick-and-mortar markets.  They’d have to charge a lot more for these eggs than most stores are willing to pay.  And their eggs are so good that lots of people are willing to go to the farm itself, or the farmer’s market, and pay their good money for these eggs directly to the farmer, no middleman/woman needed.

And I will gladly, happily eat the raw yolks of eggs that came from that kind of farmer, whom I’ve met and talked to and hopefully even seen where and how well their chickens live.  I usually don’t even wash my hands with soap after dealing with these eggs, just a quick rinse with water.

Eggs that I buy at the grocery store, however, I’m not that confident in.  I make sure to thoroughly wash my hands after handling them raw (I usually remove egg yolks from their white coats with my hands), and I try to avoid eating store-bought yolks raw, although sometimes you have to compromise … you can’t make olive oil mayo with cooked yolks, as far as I’m aware.

Now I admit that I hopefully expect to be proven wrong on this claim–the one that is the title of my post–later this spring, when I’ve got a trip to LA planned.  I have already scoped out where I can get Organic Pastures products, including eggs, at a store near to my hotel. (And thank goodness it looks like the ridiculous persecutory debacle with their dairy products seems to have been resolved!)  My expectation is that these eggs will be as good, or almost as good, as the ones I regularly get from my farm.

But until then, unless you can convince me otherwise, I’ve got to hold to my conclusion, based upon my experiences, that eggs which I have to buy at a regular store, when circumstances prohibit getting them directly from a quality farm for one reason or another, are just going to be inferior to the superior quality eggs that I’m used to.  I’ve tried numerous places to find them, I’ve tried several different brands … it’s just not the same.

Yes, you are correct.  I am an egg snob.

Photo Credit:  LA • DE • DA on Flickr.

This post is part of Monday Mania.

12 Responses to You Can’t Buy Good Eggs at the Grocery Store

1. Allan Jackson says:

We have good eggs at the Merc here in Lawrence, KS.

Their main local provider is the Bauman family farm.
    http://www.ethicurean.com/2007/11/15/baumans-eggs/ But I’ve also seen several other “brands” of locally produced eggs there including Sweetlove Farm, who I typically buy my eggs from at the farmer’s market.

• Allan Jackson says:

Oops, my Merc link didn’t work.

• Allan Jackson says:

Just found the complete list of local egg providers on the Merc’s website. They usually only have eggs from one to three of these farms at any one time though. I guess I didn’t fully appreciate how nice it is to always have access to good eggs at the grocery store!

Bauman’s Cedar Valley Farm
      Hidden Hollow Farm
      Kilgore Farm
      Lazy S Farm
      Nash’s Red Barn Farm
      Notkwyta Ranch
      Sweet Love Farm
      Puckett Farms Duck Eggs & Quail Eggs

2. Alison says:

We are able to get vital farms at whole foods here in the bay area. http://vitalfarms.com/

3. Jen says:

OOOH, Megh, want to be in our our egg challenge? Email me – we have several bloggers that are willing to do it. jen at realfoodfreaks dot com. Let me know and I will forward you the details.

Hi Jen! I will have to pass, I think — I am totally overwhelmed with a whole bunch of stuff going on in my life right now — all good stuff! But blogging is taking like the nosebleed seats in my priorities! :) I’ll let you know once I can come up for air, if you’re still doing it, I might jump in! :) Thanks for commenting about it.

4. Chandelle says:

This is why I started raising my own birds. I can’t afford to pay $5/dozen from the farmers market. I just wish this could be an option for everyone.

By the way, chickens are omnivores for way more than just insects. They’ll happily eat meat, and even chase down rodents. And they’ll eat each other, given the opportunity.

5. Coyote Vick says:

My local farmer sells his eggs at our local health food store. So even if I can’t get out to the farmer’s market to get eggs from Dan, I can get his eggs at the store. :D But yes, they are very expensive.

6. Laura says:

Wow, I had just finished ordering my soy free eggs from Tropical Traditions when I happened to read this post! Thanks for the info on Organic Pastures. I can add it to my safe list!

7. Katherine says:

We buy our eggs through a farm co-op, they are the cheapest price for pastured eggs that we are able to get outside of Farmer’s market season here in Chicago. We have lived in the San Francisco bay area, and in both places’ Whole Foods stores you can buy “Vital Farms” eggs, which are from Certified Organic and from pastured hens. I will say that they are VERY expensive ($7 a dozen), so we only buy them if we run out before the next co-op drop off.